Alan Collins was born on August 15, 1928, and died on October 18, 2016.
He was an English-born sculptor noted for his work at Guildford Cathedral.
Following the continuing of his career in England, Collins moved to the United States and continued working there as an artist and, for more than 20 years, as a professor of art at Seventh-day Adventist universities.
He worked primarily focused on evocative Biblical stories told in outdoor sculptures, which has been described as “24-hour, 365-days-a-year silent sermons.
After Collins started his first carving in stone he used Malta stone, which was in great supply during and after World War II as it had been used by supply ships as ballast when the ships returned to England with an otherwise empty load.
Collins’ work was exhibited at the Royal Society for the Arts and the Royal Academy, one of which was a Maltese stone sculpture Head of a King that Collins exhibited in 1946 at Exhibition 20 by the Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society when he was a student at Wimbledon College of Art.
He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of British Sculptors.
Alan Collins passed away at 88 years old.